Silver Islet Consolidated Mining and Lands Company fonds

Available reels: 1

Reel ID
Document Record
Creator Livingstone, Janey, C.
Frue, William, B.
Sibley, A. H. (Alexander, H.)
Title Silver Islet Consolidated Mining and Lands Company fonds
Letters of William B. Frue concerning the Silver Islet Mine, 1871-1875
Historic Silver Islet, 1868-1885
Fonds de la Silver Islet Consolidated Mining and Lands Company
Identifier lac_mikan_100048
MG 28 III 19
Business and commerce
Subject Mines and mineral resources--Ontario--Silver Islet
Mines et ressources minières--Ontario--Silver, Ilot
Document source Library and Archives Canada / Bibliothèque et Archives Canada
Language English
Description In 1868, silver was discovered at the tip of the Sibley Peninsula on Lake Superior's north shores. The land's owners, the Montreal Mining Company Ltd., did not have the resources to develop the site, so the rights to the land were sold in 1870 to the Silver Islet Mining Company of New York. Within two years, the Silver Islet mine would become one of the greatest enterprises in North America. It closed in 1884 after most of the highest quality silver had been extracted and price of silver had declined.
The collection consists of letters written by William B. Frue, the mine's superintendent from 1871-1875; an 1872 report on the Silver Islet mine by A.M. Sibley and a printed historical sketch entitled "Historic Silver Islet, 1868-1885", written ca. 1920 by Janey C. Livingstone; and additional notes concerning the Livingstone sisters.
En 1868, on découvrit de l'argent à la pointe de la péninsule Sibley, située sur la rive nord du lac Supérieur. Les propriétaires du terrain, la Montreal Mining Company Ltd., n'avaient pas les ressources nécessaires pour développer le site. Ils ont donc vendu leurs droits fonciers en 1870 à la Silver Islet Mining Company de New York. En l'espace de deux ans, la mine de Silver Islet est devenue l'une des plus importantes entreprises en Amérique du Nord. En 1884, elle cessa ses activités puisque presque tout l'argent de la plus haute qualité avait été extrait et que le cours de l'argent était en baisse.
La collection est constituée de lettres écrites par William B. Frue, le surintendant de la mine de 1871 à 1875, d'un rapport rédigé en 1872 par A.M. Sibley sur la mine Silver Islet, d'une pièce à caractère historique publiée vers 1920 par Janey C. Livingston et intitulée Historic Silver Islet, 1868-1885, et d'autres notes concernant les sœurs Livingstone.
Permanent Link