Subscribe to Héritage

Shawinigan Chemicals Limited fonds

Available reels: 4

Document Record
Title Shawinigan Chemicals Limited fonds
Fonds de la Shawinigan Chemicals Limited
Identifier lac_mikan_102341
MG 28 III 108
R6989-0-3-E
Papers
Business and commerce
French Canada
Document source Library and Archives Canada / Bibliothèque et Archives Canada
Language eng
Description Shawinigan Chemicals Limited was founded in 1901 by Thomas Leopold “Carbide"Wilson, inventor of the carbide manufacturing process in 1892, and was originally called the Shawinigan Carbide Company. The plant was located at Shawinigan Falls to take advantage of the electric power supplied by the Shawinigan Water and Power Company, which was established in 1898. In 1909, the Shawinigan water and Power Company gained a controlling interest in the Shawinigan Carbide Company and other companies owned by Wilson, and, in 1911, these companies were reorganized as the Canada Carbide Company. In 1915, the Shawinigan Water and Power Company established the Canadian Electro Products Company to manufacture acetone and other products for the British war effort. With the loss of those markets in 1918, the new company began developing chemicals for civilian consumption, basing its production heavily on original research. In 1927, Canadian Electro Products and Canada Carbide Company were amalgamated as Shawinigan Chemicals Limited.
In expanding its product line, Shawinigan Chemicals Limited and its predecessors created or purchased a number of subsidiaries, usually as joint ventures with other companies. Companies that were purchased include Niacet Chemical Corporation of New York (1925), Midwest Carbide Company of Iowa (1929), Shawinigan Resins Corporation (1937) and Canadian Resins and Chemicals Company (1941). In 1942, Shawinigan Chemicals Limited founded St. Maurice Chemicals Limited to produce an explosive called Methite ("R.D.X"), one of a large number of wartime projects undertaken for the British and Canadian governments. Postwar subsidiaries included BA-Shawinigan Limited (1951), an entry into the electrochemical business, Gelvatex Coatings Corporation of California (1950), McArthur Chemicals (1953) and Hedon Chemical Limited of the United Kingdom (1955). In 1961, British American Oils acquired a 25 percent interest in Shawinigan Chemicals Limited in exchange for its share of BA-Shawinigan Limited. By 1964, BA and its parent company, Gulf Oil Corporation, had acquired all of Shawinigan Chemicals Limited, and, in 1969, Shawinigan Chemicals Limited was amalgamated with BA, now re-named Gulf Oil Canada Limited.
This collection consists of the business records of Shawinigan Chemicals Limited including records created by its predecessor and affiliated companies prior to its incorporation in 1927. The fonds also contains the records of Gulf Canada Products Co. dealing with petrochemical business development. These records include correspondence, auditor's reports, financial statements, speeches, other reports, minutes and stockholders' information.
There is a list of documents in the collection at the start of microfilm reels H-2307, H-2308 and H-2310. There is a finding aid at the start of microfilm reel H-2309.
Connue d'abord sous le nom de Shawinigan Carbide Company, la Shawinigan Chemicals Limited a été fondée en 1901 par Thomas Leopold « Carbide » Wilson, inventeur d'un processus pour la production du carbure en 1892. L'usine était située à Shawinigan Falls pour tirer profit de l'énergie électrique fournie par la Shawinigan Water and Power Company fondée en 1898. En 1909, la Shawinigan Water and Power Company a acquis une participation majoritaire dans la Shawinigan Carbide Company et autres compagnies appartenant à Wilson, puis, en 1911, ces compagnies ont été réorganisées pour former la Canada Carbide Company. En 1915, la Shawinigan Water and Power Company a créé la Canadian Electro Products Company pour la production de l'acétylène et autres produits pour soutenir l'effort de guerre britannique. Avec la perte de ces marchés en 1918, la nouvelle compagnie entreprit le développement de d'autres produits chimiques pour la consommation civile en s'appuyant largement sur des travaux de recherche originale pour sa production. En 1927, la Canadian Electro Products et la Canada Carbide Company fusionnèrent pour former la Shawinigan Chemicals Limited.
En élargissant sa gamme de produits, la Shawinigan Chemicals Limited et ses prédécesseurs ont créé ou acquis un certain nombre de filiales, généralement sous forme de coentreprises avec d'autres compagnies. Parmi les compagnies acquises, mentionnons la Niacet Chemical Corporation of New York (1925), la Midwest Carbide Company of Iowa (1929), la Shawinigan Resins Corporation (1937) et la Canadian Resins and Chemicals Company (1941). En 1942, la Shawinigan Chemicals Limited a fondé la St. Maurice Chemicals Limited pour la production d'un explosif appelé Methite (« R.D.X. »), l'un des nombreux projets entrepris par les gouvernements britannique et canadien durant la guerre. Parmi les filiales acquises après la guerre, il y a la BA-Shawinigan Limited (1951), créant une entrée sur le marché des produits électrochimiques, la Gelvatex Coatings Corporation of California (1950), McArthur Chemicals (1953) et Hedon Chemical Limited of the United Kingdom (1955). En 1961, British American Oils a acquis une participation de 25 % dans la Shawinigan Chemicals Limited en échange de ses actions de BA-Shawinigan Limited. Dès 1964, BA et Gulf Oil Corporation, sa société mère, avaient acquis toutes les actions de la Shawinigan Chemicals Limited et, en 1969, la Shawinigan Chemicals Limited fut fusionnée avec la BA, désormais appelée la Gulf Oil Canada Limited.
Cette collection comprend les dossiers d'affaires de la Shawinigan Chemicals Limited, y compris ceux créés par son prédécesseur et ses sociétés affiliées avant son incorporation en 1927. Le fonds contient aussi les dossiers de la Gulf Canada Products Co. se rapportant au développement du marché de la pétrochimie. Ces dossiers renferment de la correspondance, des rapports d'audit, des états financiers et autres rapports, des discours, des procès-verbaux et des informations pour les actionnaires.
Une liste des documents de la collection se trouve au début des bobines de microfilm H-2307, H-2308 et H-2310, ainsi qu'un instrument de recherche au début de la bobine de microfilm H-2309.
Permanent Link http://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/oocihm.lac_mikan_102341