Subscribe to Héritage

Charles E. Goad Company fonds

Available reels: 2

Reel ID
H-1815
H-1816
Document Record
Title Charles E. Goad Company fonds
Fonds Charles E. Goad Company
Identifier lac_mikan_103428
120501
120502
120503
MG 28 III 49
R6990-0-6-E
Papers
Architecture and design
Document source Library and Archives Canada / Bibliothèque et Archives Canada
Language eng
Description Charles Edward Goad (1848 - 1910) was a map maker and civil engineer who was born in England. He immigrated to Canada in 1869 and made a name for himself conducting insurance surveys of Canadian cities, starting with Levis, Quebec, in 1875. Fire insurance companies needed detailed knowledge of the nature and size of buildings, street widths, construction and building material, and the proximity of fire services and water supplies to buildings in order to establish appropriate premiums for clients. Goad formed a company in Montreal in 1875 to produce maps with this kind of information. These and similar maps are now usually called Goad maps. In 1881, Goad published a periodical entitled Insurance Society which was intended to advertise the production of insurance plans, and he became a member of the Canadian Society of Civil Engineers, among other professional societies. He returned to England to open a new office in London in 1885. After dying in 1910, his company was reorganized and began operating as the Charles E. Goad Company, and, for a time, the firm was responsible for a major share of the insurance plans produced in Canada. However, the company withdrew from the insurance business in 1917 and was bought out by Underwriter's Survey Limited in 1931 with the London branch now becoming the new head office. The company ceased its cartographic work in Canada at that time.
These fonds include material relating to the operations of the Charles E. Goad Company and features an indexed circular book, a day book listing the transactions of the company, and letter books concerning company costs and other matters of business.
No finding aid is available.
Charles Edward Goad (1848-1910), cartographe et ingénieur civil, est né en Angleterre. Après avoir émigré au Canada en 1869, il s'est surtout fait connaître par les plans d'assurance-incendies qu'il a dressés pour des villes canadiennes, en commençant par Lévis, Québec, en 1875. Les sociétés d'assurance contre le feu devaient connaître avec précision la nature, la taille et les matériaux de construction des bâtiments, la largeur des rues, la proximité des services d'incendie et les sources d'approvisionnement en eau afin de fixer les primes appropriées pour leurs clients. En 1875, Goad a créé une compagnie à Montréal pour dresser des plans contenant des informations du genre. Aujourd'hui, ces cartes et autres plans comparables sont généralement connus sous le nom de plans de Goad. En 1881, Goad a publié un périodique intitulé Insurance Society dont le but était de publiciser la production des plans d'assurance. Parmi les associations professionnelles dont il était membre, mentionnons la Société canadienne de génie civil. En 1885, il est retourné en Angleterre pour ouvrir une succursale à Londres. Après sa mort en 1910, sa compagnie fut réorganisée et redémarra ses activités sous le nom de Charles E. Goad Company. Pendant un certain temps, l'entreprise fut responsable de la production de la majeure partie des plans d'assurance-incendie au Canada. Toutefois, en 1917, la compagnie s'est retirée du secteur des assurances et fut achetée en 1931 par la Underwriter's Survey Limited et la succursale de Londres en est devenue le nouveau siège social. C'est alors que la compagnie a cessé ses travaux de cartographie au Canada.
Ce fonds contient la documentation qui se rapporte aux activités de la Charles E. Goad Company, dont un livre circulaire indexé, un brouillard dans lequel sont enregistrées les transactions de la compagnie et des livres de copies de copies de correspondance concernant les frais d'entreprises et autres questions administratives.
Aucun instrument de recherche n'est disponible.
Permanent Link http://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/oocihm.lac_mikan_103428