Subscribe to Héritage

Nova Scotia and Cape Breton Sessional Papers

Available reels: 11

Document Record
Title Great Britain. Colonial Office : Nova Scotia and Cape Breton sessional papers (CO 222)
Grande-Bretagne. Colonial Office : Documents parlementaires de la Nouvelle-Écosse et du Cap Breton (CO 222)
Nova Scotia "B"
Nova Scotia "C"
Identifier lac_mikan_104249
123000
123001
123003
MG 11 CO 220
Government
Foreign relations
Document source Library and Archives Canada / Bibliothèque et Archives Canada
Language eng
Description The Nova Scotia Legislature, consisting of the lieutenant governor and the House of Assembly, is the legislative branch of the provincial government. It's the oldest of its kind in Canada, having first sat in 1758. Starting that year, the legislature consisted of the governor (later a lieutenant governor), the appointed Nova Scotia Council (upper chamber) and the elected House of Assembly (lower chamber). The council had both executive and legislative functions. In 1838, the council was replaced by an executive council with the executive function and a legislative council with the upper chamber legislative function. In 1928, the legislative council was abolished. The legislature was the site of the first responsible government in a colony belonging to the British Empire, beginning in 1848.
Cape Breton Island became part of the colony of Nova Scotia in 1763, but it remained largely undeveloped until 1784, when it became a separate colony created for Loyalist refugees. The Loyalists were soon taken over by an influx of Scottish immigrants, peppered with a few hundred returning Acadians initially driven out during the Seven Years' War, and the Scottish occupied most of the available arable land along the seacoasts and around Bras d'Or Lake. In 1820, the island was finally reunited with Nova Scotia after more than 35 turbulent years of separate status.
This collection is limited to the minutes of legislative bodies in Nova Scotia and Cape Breton in the 18th and early 19th centuries. The four composite series of transcripts presented here reflect the divisions of the executive and legislative bodies in the two colonies. Nova Scotia "B" brings together the Minutes of the Governor's Council from 1720 through 1785. Nova Scotia "C" brings together the Journals of the Legislative Council for 1758 to 1807. Nova Scotia "D" brings together the Journals of the House of Assembly for 1758 to 1807. Cape Breton "B" brings together the Minutes of the Governor's Privy Council (which performed both executive and legislative functions) for 1785 to 1807.
The House of Assembly of Nova Scotia minutes run from microfilm reels H-1979 to H-1988, while the Minutes of the Privy Council for Cape Breton can be found on the second half of microfilm reel H-1988 and conclude on reel H-1989.
Composée d'un lieutenant-gouverneur et d'une Assemblée législative, la législature de la Nouvelle-Écosse constitue le pouvoir législatif du gouvernement provincial. Cette législature siégea pour la première fois en 1758, ce qui en fait la plus ancienne du Canada. La législature se composait du alors gouverneur (subséquemment du lieutenant-gouverneur), des membres nommés au Conseil de la Nouvelle-Écosse (la Chambre haute) et des membres élus de la Chambre d'assemblée (Chambre basse). Le Conseil avait des pouvoirs tant exécutifs que législatifs. En 1838, le Conseil fut remplacé par un Conseil exécutif doté de pouvoirs exécutifs et d'un Conseil législatif doté des pouvoirs législatifs de la Chambre haute. Le Conseil législatif fut aboli en 1928. De toutes les colonies de l'Empire britannique, la Nouvelle-Écosse est devenue, en 1848, la première à posséder un gouvernement responsable.
L'Île du Cap-Breton fut rattachée à la colonie de la Nouvelle-Écosse en 1763, mais elle est demeurée largement sous-développée jusqu'en 1784. C'est alors qu'elle est devenue une colonie distincte pour les réfugiés loyalistes. Mais bientôt les Loyalistes furent envahis par l'arrivée d'immigrants écossais, ainsi que de quelques centaines d'Acadiens qui sont revenus après leur expulsion de la colonie durant la guerre de Sept Ans. Les Écossais ont alors occupé la majeure partie des terres arables disponibles en bordure du littoral maritime et autour du lac Bras d'Or. En 1820, l'île fut finalement rattachée à la Nouvelle-Écosse après plus de 35 années de turbulences résultant de son statut distinct.
Cette collection se limite aux procès-verbaux des corps législatifs de la Nouvelle-Écosse et du Cap-Breton durant le XVIIIe siècle et le début du XIXe siècle. Les quatre séries de transcriptions composites présentées ici reflètent les divisions entre les corps exécutifs et législatifs des deux colonies. La série « B » de la Nouvelle-Écosse regroupe les procès-verbaux du Conseil du gouverneur depuis 1720 jusqu'en 1785. La série « C » de la Nouvelle-Écosse rassemble les Journaux du Conseil législatif de 1758 à 1807, alors que la série « D » rassemble ceux de la Chambre d'assemblée entre 1758 et 1807. Quant à la série « B » du Cap-Breton, elle regroupe les procès-verbaux du Conseil privé du gouverneur (qui possédait des pouvoirs tant exécutifs que législatifs) de 1785 à 1807.
Les procès-verbaux de la Chambre d'assemblée de la Nouvelle-Écosse se trouvent sur les bobines de microfilm H-1979 à H-1988, alors que ceux du Conseil privé du Cap-Breton commencent dans la seconde moitié de la bobine H-1988 pour se terminer sur la bobine H-1989.
Permanent Link http://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/oocihm.lac_mikan_104249