Subscribe to Héritage

Great Britain. Court of Chancery : patents, letters patent, commissions and orders in council

Available reels: 1

Reel ID
H-2951
Document Record
Creator Great Britain. Court of Chancery
Title Great Britain. Court of Chancery : patents, letters patent, commissions and orders in council
Grande-Bretagne. Cour de la Chancellerie : Brevets, lettres patentes, commissions et décrets
Identifier lac_mikan_105442
MG 40 B 1
Government
Foreign relations
Document source Library and Archives Canada / Bibliothèque et Archives Canada
Language eng
Description The Court of Chancery was a British court of justice dedicated to hearing cases which were based on equity (as opposed to the common law), such as real property, mortgages, company law, patents, trusts and estate matters. The Court of Chancery was far more flexible and had a far greater remit than the common law courts, whose decisions it had the jurisdiction to overrule for much of its existence. The Court was formally led by the Lord Chancellor, assisted by the judges of the common law courts. In 1813 a Vice-Chancellor was appointed to deal with the Chancery's increasing backlogs, and two more were appointed in 1841. In 1875, the Court of Chancery ceased to exist as a Supreme Court of Judicature Act provided that the jurisdiction of this Court was to be transferred to a new Chancery Division which was part of a court of first instance known as the High Court of Justice, and it remains as so to this day. The Lord Chancellor retained his other judicial and political powers, while the position of Vice-Chancellor ceased to exist, replaced by ordinary judges. As of more recently, the title Lord Chancellor or Chancellor refers to the British Minister of Justice.
This collection includes charters, appointments and commissions to governors and officials. It also includes true copies from the Public Record Office of commissions to Governors Richard Philipps, Nova Scotia, 1718; Walter Patterson, Island of St. John, 1769; Thomas Carleton, New Brunswick, 1784; James Douglas, British Columbia, 1858: and of the Order-in-Council establishing a separate government for the Island of St. John, 1769. Additionally, it includes commissions to governors, some of which are transcribed in full, while, in other cases, only such parts as indicated changes have been copied.
La Cour de la Chancellerie était un tribunal britannique qui devait appliquer les règles de l’équité (par opposition au common law) dans les causes impliquant, entre autres, les biens immobiliers, les hypothèques, le droit des sociétés, les brevets, les fiducies et les questions de droit successoral. Pendant la majeure partie de son existence, la Cour de la Chancellerie était beaucoup plus flexible et disposait d’une juridiction plus étendue que les tribunaux de common law dont elle avait le pouvoir de renverser les décisions. Le tribunal était formellement dirigé par le Lord Chancelier, assisté par les juges de tribunaux de common law. En 1813, un Vice-Chancelier a été désigné pour prêter main-forte en raison du nombre croissant des causes en attente, et deux autres furent nommés en 1841. La Cour de la Chancellerie a cessé d’exister avec l’adoption de la loi de judicature de 1875 qui prévoyait que la juridiction de cette cour soit transférée à une nouvelle division de la Chancellerie faisant partie de la Haute Cour de Justice, un tribunal de première instance qui existe encore aujourd’hui. Le Lord Chancelier a conservé ses autres pouvoirs judiciaires et politiques, tandis que la fonction de Vice-Chancelier a été abolie et remplacée par des juges ordinaires. Depuis plus récemment, le titre de Lord Chancelier ou Chancelier désigne le ministre britannique de la Justice.
Cette collection se compose de chartes, de nominations et de commissions accordées à des gouverneurs et hauts responsables. On y trouve aussi, en provenance du Public Record Office, des copies certifiées de commissions accordées aux gouverneurs Richard Philipps, Nouvelle-Écosse (1718), Walter Patterson, Île Saint-Jean (1769), Thomas Carleton, Nouveau-Brunswick (1784), James Douglas, Colombie-Britannique (1858), ainsi que du décret créant un gouvernement distinct pour l’Île Saint-Jean en 1769. La collection contient par ailleurs des commissions de gouverneurs, dont certaines ont été transcrites en entier, alors que dans d’autres cas, seuls les passages contenant des modifications ont été copiés.
Permanent Link http://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/oocihm.lac_mikan_105442