Available reels: 17
|Creator||Toronto Board of Trade|
|Title||Toronto Board of Trade : Board of Trade News and Journal|
MG 28 III 56
|Document source||Library and Archives Canada / Bibliothèque et Archives Canada|
The Toronto Region Board of Trade is Toronto's chamber of commerce, the largest local chamber of commerce in Canada, representing more than 12,000 individuals and 250,000 business professionals and influencers throughout the Toronto Region. It is a non-profit organization with a mandate to serve, represent and unite Toronto's business community. It was founded in 1845 as the Toronto Board of Trade. The Board grew slowly, and had only acquired 60 members by 1856. Until the 1860s, most members were traders, specifically wholesalers. In 1884, the Board was amalgamated with the Toronto Corn Exchange Association. At seven stories, the Board of Trade Building, which housed the Board between 1892 to 1958, was one of the first skyscrapers in Toronto. Around 1932 and 1933, the board's name was officially changed to the Board of Trade of Metropolitan Toronto. In 2012, the board changed its name again to the Toronto Region Board of Trade.
This collection consists of Board of Trade publications: the News was published between 1910 to 1922 and the Journal from 1923.