Subscribe to Héritage

Department of Indian Affairs: Campbell River District Office

Available reels: 9

Document Record
Creator Canada. Dept. of Indian Affairs.
Title Department of Indian Affairs: Campbell River District Office
Ministère des Affaires indiennes : Bureau de district de la rivière Campbell
Identifier lac_mikan_133586
135641
RG 10 C V 8
R216-48-6-E
R216-48-6-F
Government
Aboriginal
Document source Library and Archives Canada / Bibliothèque et Archives Canada
Language eng
Description In 1755, the British Crown established the British Indian Department, and responsibility for Indian Affairs rested on the Superintendents of Indian Affairs from 1755 to 1841. After 1843, the Governors General held control of Indian Affairs, but usually delegated much of their responsibility to a series of Civil Secretaries. In 1860, the responsibility for Indian affairs was transferred from the government of Great Britain to the Province of Canada and the responsibility for Indian Affairs was given to the Crown Lands Department Commissions Responsible for Indian Affairs. The responsibility for Indian Affairs rested with various government departments between 1873 and 1966. The Minister of the Interior also held the position of Superintendent General of Indian Affairs after the Indian Affairs Department was established in 1880. From 1950 to 1965, the Indian Affairs portfolio was carried by the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration. In October 1966, the Department of Indian Affairs and Northern Development was created. Today, the department is known as Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada.
Following the creation of the Department of Indian Affairs and Northern Development in 1966, agencies were joined to form larger administrative units called districts. Responsibility for the bands of the Kwawkewlth Agency (sometimes referred to as the Alert Bay Agency) and for those of the northern part of the West Coast Agency was united under the North Island District Office effective April 1, 1970. On December 16, 1975, the name of the North Island District office was changed to the Campbell River District office.
This collection consists of records created and maintained by the Campbell River District Office. Some of the files described in this series date from the period prior to this restructuring and relate, for the most part, to the bands that were included in the Kwawkewlth Agency. Included are files pertaining to the Comox Band which was transferred from the Cowichan to the Kwawkewlth Agency.
En 1755, la Couronne britannique a établi un département britannique des Affaires indiennes et, entre 1755 et 1841, la responsabilité des affaires indiennes relevait des surintendants des Affaires indiennes. À compter de 1843, les affaires indiennes étaient placées sous l’autorité des gouverneurs généraux qui déléguaient souvent une grande partie de leurs responsabilités à des secrétaires civils. En 1860, la responsabilité des affaires indiennes passa du gouvernement de la Grande-Bretagne à la province du Canada où des commissions du ministère des Terres de la Couronne en assumèrent la responsabilité. Entre 1873 et 1966, la responsabilité des affaires indiennes releva de divers ministères. Après la création du ministère des Affaires indiennes en 1880, le ministre de l’Intérieur occupait également le poste de surintendant général des Affaires indiennes. De 1950 à 1965, le portefeuille des Affaires indiennes relevait du ministre de la Citoyenneté et de l’Immigration. En octobre 1966, le ministère des Affaires indiennes et du Nord canadien fut créé. Aujourd’hui, ce ministère porte le nom d’Affaires autochtones et Développement du Nord Canada.
Suite à la création du ministère des Affaires indiennes et du Nord canadien en 1966, les agences furent regroupées pour former des unités administratives plus grandes appelées districts. La responsabilité des bandes de l’agence de Kwawkewlth (appelée parfois l’agence d’Alert Bay) et de celles de la partie nord de l’agence de la Côte Ouest furent combinées sous l’autorité du bureau de district de North Island à compter du 1er avril 1970. Le 16 décembre 1975, le nom du bureau de district de North Island fut changé pour le bureau de district de la rivière Campbell.
Cette collection est constituée de documents créés et tenus à jour par le bureau de district de la rivière Campbell. Certains dossiers décrits dans cette série remontent à la période précédant cette restructuration et ont trait, pour la plupart, aux bandes qui faisaient partie de l’agence Kwawkewlth. On y trouve, entre autres, des dossiers relatifs à la bande des Comox qui a été transférée de l’agence Cowichan à celle de Kwawkewlth.
Permanent Link http://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/oocihm.lac_mikan_133586