Available reels: 5
|Creator||Canada. Dept. of Indian Affairs|
|Title||Office of the Indian Reserve Commissioner for the Province of British Columbia|
RG 10 B 6
|Document source||Library and Archives Canada / Bibliothèque et Archives Canada|
Following a number of unsuccessful attempts to resolve the problem of Indian land in British Columbia, a three-man commission made up of Dominion and Provincial representatives and a joint commissioner was established in 1876. The Commission existed until 1910. During this time, it allotted more than 1,000 Indian reserves in British Columbia. The initial committee consisted of three men, but they worked as a group for only one year. The federal commissioner, Gilbert Sproat, carried on alone from 1878 until 1880. Peter O'Reilly replaced Sproat until 1888. Then A.W. Powell became the commissioner until 1910. Public opinion was against the commission because settlers thought it was too generous.
Microfilm reel C-13902 consists of a minute book of the proceedings of the Commission, 1877. Microfilm reels C-13900 to C-13902 consist of copies of letters sent by the Reserve Commission, 1876-1910. Microfilm reels T-3949 to T-3951 consists of correspondence received by the Indian Reserve Commissioner's Office.