Subscribe to Héritage

Department of Public Works, Chief Architect's Office : Letterbooks, 1873-1909

Available reels: 57

Document Record
Creator Canada. Dept. of Public Works
Title Department of Public Works, Chief Architect's Office : Letterbooks, 1873-1909
Ministère des Travaux publics, Bureau de l’architecte en chef : registres d copies de lettres, 1873-1909
Identifier lac_mikan_133782
194919
RG 11 D 2
R182-304-8-E
R182-304-8-F
Government
Architecture and design
Document source Library and Archives Canada / Bibliothèque et Archives Canada
Language eng
Description Public Works and Government Services Canada (known as PWGSC and formerly referred to as the Department of Public Works and Government Services) is the department of Canada's government that is responsible for the government's internal servicing and administration. PWGSC is one of the oldest federal departments, dating back to 1841 when it was known as the Board of Works. The position of Minister of Public Works existed as part of the Cabinet of Canada from 1867 to 1995. The current-day PWGSC was formed in 1996 with the merger of four government departments, which had been responsible for such things as producing military equipment during the Second World War and supplies for post-war reconstruction, public printing and stationery, all government voice and data telecommunications, translations, and so on. Today, PWGSC is one of the largest federal departments and provides common services to more than 100 federal departments and agencies.
In 1871, the Engineering Branch of the Department of Public Works was enlarged to include an Architect's Branch. This eventually became the Chief Architect's Office. Thomas Seaton Scott (1826 - 1895), the first Chief Dominion Architect, was succeeded by Thomas Fuller (1823 - 1898). Fuller played a role in the design and construction of every major federal building. During Fuller's tenure -- he was chief architect from 1881 until 1896 -- about 140 buildings were constructed nationwide, of these approximately 78 were federal buildings and post offices, particularly post offices in smaller urban centres. These buildings created and consolidated a federal government presence across Canada. By the late 1880s, however, budgetary cutbacks led to more economic designs and standardization.
This collection consists of bound, indexed copies of outgoing letters created and maintained by the office of the Chief Architect.
Travaux publics et Services gouvernementaux du Canada (TPSGC - connu autrefois sous le nom de ministère des Travaux publics et Services gouvernementaux) est le ministère du gouvernement canadien qui est responsable de la gestion administrative et des services internes du gouvernement. TPSGC est l'un des plus vieux ministères du gouvernement fédéral. Lors de sa création en 1841, il portait le nom de Commission des travaux publics. Entre 1867 et 1995, le ministre des Travaux publics faisait partie du Cabinet fédéral. TPSGC, dans sa forme actuelle, fut créé en 1996 à partir de la fusion de quatre ministères gouvernementaux qui étaient autrefois responsables, entre autres, de la production du matériel militaire pendant la Seconde Guerre mondiale et des fournitures pour la reconstruction d'après-guerre, des imprimeries et de la papeterie publiques, de toutes les télécommunications vocales et transmissions de données du gouvernement, de la traduction et de bien plus. Aujourd'hui, TPSGC est l'un des plus gros ministères du gouvernement canadien, offrant des services communs à plus de 100 ministères et organismes fédéraux.
En 1871, le Service d'ingénierie du ministère des Travaux publics fut élargi pour inclure un Service d'architecture, lequel allait devenir le Bureau de l'architecte en chef. Thomas Seaton Scott (1826-1895), le premier architecte en chef du Dominion, eut pour successeur Thomas Fuller (1823-1898). Fuller a joué un rôle dans la conception et la construction de l'ensemble des principaux édifices du gouvernement fédéral. Durant son mandat – Fuller fut architecte en chef de 1881 à 1896 – il surveilla la construction d'environ 140 bâtisses à travers le pays et dont quelque 78 étaient des édifices fédéraux, mais aussi des bureaux de poste situés majoritairement dans des centres urbains plus modestes. Ces édifices ont créé et ont renforcé la présence du gouvernement fédéral à travers le Canada. Toutefois, dès la fin des années 1880, les restrictions budgétaires ont donné lieu à des projets architecturaux plus économiques et standardisés.
Cette collection est constituée de copies de lettres rédigées, expédiées, indexées, reliées et tenues à jour par le Bureau de l'architecte en chef.
Il ne semble pas y avoir d'instruments de recherche au début des bobines de microfilm.
Permanent Link http://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/oocihm.lac_mikan_133782