Subscribe to Héritage

Royal Canadian Mounted Police B Division journals

Available reels: 3

Reel ID
C-2152
C-2153
C-2154
Document Record
Creator Royal Canadian Mounted Police
Title Royal Canadian Mounted Police B Division journals
Yukon daily journals, 1898-1920
Yukon general administration records, 1897-1951
Gendarmerie royale du Canada, Division B : journaux
Identifier lac_mikan_134174
164712
158623
158624
RG 18
Government
Law and justice
Western Canada
North
Document source Library and Archives Canada / Bibliothèque et Archives Canada
Language eng
Description The North-West Mounted Police (NWMP) was a parliamentary police force created in 1873. It was meant to keep law and order among incoming settlers to the region west of Ontario, help Aboriginals make the transition to Indian reserves, and act as a symbol of Canadian sovereignty against American annexation. The police force was partially created in response to Fenian invaders who nearly made it to Manitoba in 1871. During the Klondike Gold Rush from 1897 to 1903, the NWMP would establish a presence in the Yukon to maintain order amongst the saloons, dance halls and gambling dens that sprung up to entertain gold prospectors flooding into the region.
The mounted party of 275 officers and men of the fledgling North-West Mounted Police that left Fort Dufferin, Manitoba, in 1874 were divided into six troops or divisions, identified by letters "A" through "F". B Division was initially located at Fort Macleod. Between 1876 and 1894, it was stationed at following locations: Fort Walsh (1876-1877), Qu'Appelle (1880-1881), Regina (1882-1888), Wood Mountain (1888), Regina (1891-1894). From 1895 to 1897, designation B was not in use, but in 1898 the division was located in Dawson where it remained until 1938. There were two police divisions in the Yukon, one at Dawson City and one at Whitehorse, with the command located at Dawson City. The first Commanding Officer was Superintendent A.B. Perry and the second was Superintendent C. Constantine.
In 1938, B Division, Yukon Territories, and G Division, Northwest Territories, were amalgamated and their headquarters was located in Ottawa. Between 1938 and 1948, designation B was once again discontinued. Finally, in 1949 B Division was assigned to St. John's, Newfoundland, under the direction of the Deputy Commissioner for the Atlantic Region.
This collection consists of records created or maintained by B Division, and appears to exclusively include records created while the division was located in Dawson (1898 to 1938). The Yukon records include journals and convict records.
No finding aid appears to be at the start of the microfilm reels.
La Police montée du Nord-Ouest est une force policière créée par le Parlement en 1873. Son but était alors de maintenir la loi et l'ordre parmi les nouveaux colons établis dans la région à l'ouest de l'Ontario, d'aider les autochtones dans leur transition vers les réserves indiennes et d'agir en tant que symbole de la souveraineté canadienne contre l'annexion américaine. La force policière fut créée aussi en partie pour contrer les invasions des Féniens qui ont failli réussir à s'infiltrer au Manitoba en 1871. Durant la ruée vers l'or du Klondike entre 1897 et 1903, la Police montée a établi sa présence dans le Yukon afin de maintenir l'ordre dans les bars, les salles de danse et les maisons de jeux clandestines ayant surgi soudainement pour divertir les chercheurs d'or qui avaient envahi la région.
La force policière à cheval de 275 hommes et officiers de la nouvelle Police montée du Nord-Ouest qui, en 1874, avait quitté le fort Dufferin au Manitoba était divisée en six troupes ou divisions identifiées par les lettres « A » à « F ». D'abord postée au fort Macleod, la Division B fut, entre 1876 et 1894, relocalisée à plusieurs reprises : fort Walsh (1876-1877), Qu'Appelle (1880-1881), Regina (1882-1888), Wood Mountain (1888), puis Regina (1891-1894). De 1895 à 1897, la désignation « B » n'était plus utilisée, mais en 1898, la Division s'est retrouvée à Dawson où elle resta jusqu'en 1938. Deux divisions étaient postées au Yukon, l'une à Dawson City et l'autre à Whitehorse. Le commandement se trouvait à Dawson City. Le premier commandant fut le surintendant A.B. Perry, alors que le second fut C. Constantine.
En 1938, la Division B des Territoires du Yukon et la Division G des Territoires du Nord-Ouest furent fusionnées et leurs quartiers généraux furent installés à Ottawa. Entre 1938 et 1948, la désignation « B » fut de nouveau mise de côté. Finalement, en 1949, la Division B fut basée à St. John's, Terre-Neuve, et placée sous la direction du Commissaire adjoint de la région Atlantique.
Cette collection contient des documents créés et conservés par la Division B, lesquels semblent se rapporter uniquement à la période où cette division était postée à Dawson (entre 1898 et 1938). Les archives du Yukon comprennent des journaux et des dossiers de détention.
Il ne semble pas y avoir d'instrument de recherche au début des bobines de microfilm.
Permanent Link http://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/oocihm.lac_mikan_134174