Subscribe to Héritage

Lachine Canal Commission

Available reels: 2

Reel ID
C-4243
C-4244
Document Record
Creator Lachine Canal Commission (Canada)
Title Lachine Canal Commission
Commission du canal Lachine
Identifier lac_mikan_137284
137835
RG 43 C-III
R555-5-2-E
R555-5-2-F
Government
Transportation
Document source Library and Archives Canada / Bibliothèque et Archives Canada
Language eng
Description The Lachine Canal was built between 1821 and 1825, and was a canal that passed through the southwestern part of the island of Montreal, bypassing the rapids on the St Lawrence River upstream. It was the first real canal in Canada to be finished. Planned by Montreal merchants, it required substantial investment of public funds before completion. The Lachine Canal Commission was appointed to oversee construction when the Lachine Navigation Company was bought by the province in 1821. When the canal was completed in 1825, it turned Montreal into a major port and eventually attracted industry to its banks when the Society of Sulpician Order decided to sell lots.The canal was subsequently enlarged in 1843 and 1848 to allow heavier ships to pass through, which made Montreal a more convenient area for trade, effectively taking away shipping traffic from Quebec City, and created industrial suburbs by moving Montreal's industrial region away from the downtown core. Further improvements were carried out after Confederation and all of the locks on the Lachine Canal were rebuilt. The canal continued to operate successfully until around 1950, but, now surrounded by the industrial developments which it helped to create, it could not be expanded further to cope with the continuing increase in vessel size. The canal finally became obsolete when it was replaced by the St. Lawrence Seaway in 1959 and it closed to shipping in 1970.
This collection consists of minutes of meetings, a collection of the commission's reports to the Legislative Assembly of Lower Canada, weekly wage books for canal labourers, and vouchers for payments on account for canal work -- all from the early part of the 19th century.
No finding aid is available.
Construit entre 1821 et 1825, le canal Lachine traverse la section sud-ouest de l'île de Montréal, contournant les rapides en amont sur le fleuve Saint-Laurent. Il fut le premier véritable canal à être achevé au Canada. Lancé par des marchands de Montréal, ce projet exigea un investissement de fonds publics considérable avant d'être complété. La Commission du canal Lachine fut chargée de superviser la construction lorsque la Lachine Navigation Company fut achetée par la province en 1821. Lorsque le canal fut parachevé en 1825, il transforma Montréal en une ville portuaire majeure, et plusieurs industries vinrent peu à peu s'établir sur ses berges quand l'Ordre des Sulpiciens décida d'y vendre les lots. Le canal fut subséquemment élargi en 1843 et 1848 afin de permettre le passage des navires à plus fort tonnage, ce qui contribua au développement économique de Montréal. La ville réussit même à supplanter la ville de Québec dans le domaine du trafic maritime. Les secteurs industriels du centre-ville de Montréal furent alors déplacés vers des banlieues industrielles. D'autres améliorations furent apportées après la Confédération et toutes les écluses du canal Lachine furent reconstruites. Le canal a poursuivi ses opérations jusqu'aux alentours des années 1950. C'est alors que les développements industriels initiés sur ses berges par le canal lui-même empêchèrent toute possibilité d'expansion pour faire face à la taille croissante des navires. Devenu désuet, le canal fut remplacé, en 1959, par la Voie maritime du Saint-Laurent et mit définitivement fin à ses activités en 1970.
Cette collection comprend des procès-verbaux de réunions, une série de rapports présentés par la Commission du canal à l'Assemblée législative du Bas-Canada, des registres des salaires hebdomadaires versés aux ouvriers du canal, et des pièces justificatives pour les versements des acomptes pour les travaux effectués sur le canal. Le tout couvre le début du XIXe siècle.
Aucun instrument de recherche n'est disponible.
Permanent Link http://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/oocihm.lac_mikan_137284