Available reels: 17
|Creator||Canada. Dept. of Indian Affairs.|
Department of Indian Affairs, Toronto office of the Central Superintendency : general land records
Indian Treaties and Surrenders, Brant Leases
RG 10 D 12 b
|Document source||Library and Archives Canada / Bibliothèque et Archives Canada|
In 1755, the British Crown established the British Indian Department, and responsibility for Indian Affairs rested on the Superintendents of Indian Affairs from 1755 to 1841. After 1843, the Governors General held control of Indian Affairs, but usually delegated much of their responsibility to a series of Civil Secretaries. In 1860, the responsibility for Indian affairs was transferred from the government of Great Britain to the Province of Canada and the responsibility for Indian Affairs was given to the Crown Lands Department Commissions Responsible for Indian Affairs. The responsibility for Indian Affairs rested with various government departments between 1873 and 1966. The Minister of the Interior also held the position of Superintendent General of Indian Affairs after the Indian Affairs Department was established in 1880. From 1950 to 1965, the Indian Affairs portfolio was carried by the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration. In October 1966, the Department of Indian Affairs and Northern Development was created. Today, the department is known as Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada.
The Central (Toronto) Superintendency was believed to have been established in 1845 and was dissolved in July 1882. It composed of the following bands: Bay of Quinte (Deseronto or Tyendinaga), Georgina and Snake Islands, Scugog, Rama, Saugeen, Christian Island, Alnwick, Cape Croker, Rice Lake and Mud Lake Reserves, among others.
This collection consists of miscellaneous records relating to land and land sales in the superintendency. The sub-series includes the following: timber licences, 1873-1876, land timber returns and land assignments, 1878-1882, mostly relating to Ontario; timber licenses for Ontario, 1871-1874; a record book designating islands claimed by the Indians in Canada West, 1856-1857, as well as a list of leases of the Mohawks of Tyendinaga lands around the Bay of Quinte; an account book, 1837-1841; a cashbook, 1846-1859; land returns, 1846-1873; a report on and valuation of lots in the Orillia town plot and the Indian reserve between Orillia and Coldwater, 1844, as well as a report by surveyor J.S. Dennis to Superintendent T.G. Anderson concerning the town plot dated September 5, 1851; land returns for the Saugeen (Bruce) Peninsula, 1855-1874; land returns for Tyendinaga, 1847-1882; assignments of unpaid arrears for purchase of Indian lands, 1855-1875; cash books of Credit Indian lands sold at Bronte, 1834-1854; a record book of land sales in Lindsay, St. Edmund, Sarawak, Albemarle, Eastnor, Amabel, Keppel, and Medonte Townships, as well as Thorah Island and Wiarton; a journal of land sales, 1869-1878; an account book of land sales, Amabel Township, 1852-1854; a cash book and record book of land sales, Saugeen Peninsula, 1856-1859; a record book of leases, town of Brooke, 1857; accounts for payments on leases, 1870-1877, and record books of leases, 1850, 1875-1883; a record book of leases, Shannonville, 1880; leases of Six Nations land on the Grand River; and an index to land sales in the Saugeen Peninsula. The records to which the index relates are missing.