Available reels: 13
|Creator||Canada. Dept. of Indian Affairs.|
|Title||Department of Indian Affairs : Blood Agency|
RG 10 C VI
|Document source||Library and Archives Canada / Bibliothèque et Archives Canada|
In 1755, the British Crown established the British Indian Department, and responsibility for Indian Affairs rested on the Superintendents of Indian Affairs from 1755 to 1841. After 1843, the Governors General held control of Indian Affairs, but usually delegated much of their responsibility to a series of Civil Secretaries. In 1860, the responsibility for Indian affairs was transferred from the government of Great Britain to the Province of Canada and the responsibility for Indian Affairs was given to the Crown Lands Department Commissions Responsible for Indian Affairs. The responsibility for Indian Affairs rested with various government departments between 1873 and 1966. The Minister of the Interior also held the position of Superintendent General of Indian Affairs after the Indian Affairs Department was established in 1880. From 1950 to 1965, the Indian Affairs portfolio was carried by the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration. In October 1966, the Department of Indian Affairs and Northern Development was created. Today, the department is known as Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada.
An Indian Agent was appointed in 1880 to administer the bands of the Treaty 7 area. Various Indian Agents eventually took over responsibilities for various divisions, but they were generally responsible for the Blackfoot, Stoney, Sarcee, Blood and Peigan bands. In 1885, the agency office that had been based at Fort MacLeod, Alberta, was moved to the Blood reserve and the agency became known as the Blood Agency.
Microfilm reels C-14297 and C-14838 to C-14840 contain subject files dealing with farm statements; leases; annuities; medical officers; hospitals; St. Mary's Industrial School; St. Paul's Industrial School; agency employees; and agents' reports.
Microfilm reels C-14255, C-14840 to C-14847 and T-1474 to T-1476 contain copies of letters sent by the agent of the Blood Agency between 1882 to 1906. The agents during this period were C.E. Denny (1882-1883), W. Pocklington (1884-1891), A.G. Irvine (1892), James Wilson (1893-1903), J.W. Jowett (1904), and R.N. Wilson (1905-1911). Most of the letters sections contain indexes; a few, however, do not. A farm instructor's letterbook from 1885 to 1894 is also included here.
Microfilm reel C-14297 consists of incoming correspondence containing letters received by the agent for the Blood Agency between 1899 to 1910. The agents during this period were James Wilson (1893-1903), J.W. Jowett (1904), and R.N. Wilson (1905-1911). This part of the collection is arranged in chronological order.