Available reels: 5
|Creator||Canada. Dept. of Indian Affairs.|
Department of Indian Affairs : Hobbema Agency
Ministère des Affaires indiennes : Agence d'Hobbema
RG 10 C VI
|Document source||Library and Archives Canada / Bibliothèque et Archives Canada|
In 1755, the British Crown established the British Indian Department, and responsibility for Indian Affairs rested on the Superintendents of Indian Affairs from 1755 to 1841. After 1843, the Governors General held control of Indian Affairs, but usually delegated much of their responsibility to a series of Civil Secretaries. In 1860, the responsibility for Indian affairs was transferred from the government of Great Britain to the Province of Canada and the responsibility for Indian Affairs was given to the Crown Lands Department Commissions Responsible for Indian Affairs. The responsibility for Indian Affairs rested with various government departments between 1873 and 1966. The Minister of the Interior also held the position of Superintendent General of Indian Affairs after the Indian Affairs Department was established in 1880. From 1950 to 1965, the Indian Affairs portfolio was carried by the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration. In October 1966, the Department of Indian Affairs and Northern Development was created. Today, the department is known as Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada.
The first agent for the Hobbema Agency was appointed in 1884. This agency, located near Wetaskiwin, Alberta, was responsible for bands in the Treaty 6 region of Alberta, including the Bobtail, Buck Lake, Ermineskin, Louis Bull, Montana, Samson and Sharphead band. Between 1885 and 1892, the agency was sometimes referred to as Peace Hills. In 1967, the Hobbema Agency merged with the Edmonton Agency to form the Edmonton/Hobbema District.
Microfilm reel C-14250 consists of daily journals kept by the agent between 1923 to 1928. During this period the agents were C.W. Kirby (1922-1923) and Wallace Graham Askey (1924-1931).
Microfilm reels C-14250 to C-14254 consists of letterbooks, which contain copies of letters written by the agents between 1888 to 1909. During this period the agents were W.C. de Balinhard (1888-1889), Charles de Cazes (1890-1892), D.L. Clink (1893-1896), W.S. Grant (1897-1905), and G.G. Mann (1906-1913). Only a few of these volumes contain an index.
Microfilm reel T-1467 contains circular letters sent from headquarters to agent D.L. Clink between 1894 and 1896.