Available reels: 2
|Creator||Canada. Dept. of Indian Affairs.|
Department of Indian Affairs : Kootenay Agency
Ministère des Affaires indiennes : Agence de Kootenay
RG 10 C VI
|Document source||Library and Archives Canada / Bibliothèque et Archives Canada|
In 1755, the British Crown established the British Indian Department, and responsibility for Indian Affairs rested on the Superintendents of Indian Affairs from 1755 to 1841. After 1843, the Governors General held control of Indian Affairs, but usually delegated much of their responsibility to a series of Civil Secretaries. In 1860, the responsibility for Indian affairs was transferred from the government of Great Britain to the Province of Canada and the responsibility for Indian Affairs was given to the Crown Lands Department Commissions Responsible for Indian Affairs. The responsibility for Indian Affairs rested with various government departments between 1873 and 1966. The Minister of the Interior also held the position of Superintendent General of Indian Affairs after the Indian Affairs Department was established in 1880. From 1950 to 1965, the Indian Affairs portfolio was carried by the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration. In October 1966, the Department of Indian Affairs and Northern Development was created. Today, the department is known as Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada.
The Kootenay Agency was established in 1885 and was located in Wild Horse Creek/Fort Steele, BC (1895-1916) and Cranbrook, BC (1938-1964). The Kootenay Agency became the Kootenay-Okanagan Agency in 1966. The Central Interior Vancouver District office was created from the amalgamation of the Thompson River District and the Kootenay-Okanagan District offices in 1975.
Microfilm reels C-14262 to C-14264 consists of copies of letters written by the agent for the Kootenay Agency between 1906 to 1919. No indexes are available for these volumes.