Subscribe to Héritage

Department of Indian Affairs : Nass Agency

Available reels: 1

Reel ID
C-14881
Document Record
Creator Canada. Dept. of Indian Affairs.
Title Department of Indian Affairs : Nass Agency
Ministère des Affaires indiennes : Agence de Nass
Identifier lac_mikan_159052
162521
RG 10 C VI
R216-505-8-E
R216-505-8-F
Government
Aboriginal
Document source Library and Archives Canada / Bibliothèque et Archives Canada
Language eng
Description In 1755, the British Crown established the British Indian Department, and responsibility for Indian Affairs rested on the Superintendents of Indian Affairs from 1755 to 1841. After 1843, the Governors General held control of Indian Affairs, but usually delegated much of their responsibility to a series of Civil Secretaries. In 1860, the responsibility for Indian affairs was transferred from the government of Great Britain to the Province of Canada and the responsibility for Indian Affairs was given to the Crown Lands Department Commissions Responsible for Indian Affairs. The responsibility for Indian Affairs rested with various government departments between 1873 and 1966. The Minister of the Interior also held the position of Superintendent General of Indian Affairs after the Indian Affairs Department was established in 1880. From 1950 to 1965, the Indian Affairs portfolio was carried by the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration. In October 1966, the Department of Indian Affairs and Northern Development was created. Today, the department is known as Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada.
The Nass Agency, British Columbia, was created from the division of the North West Coast Agency into the Nass, Queen Charlotte, and Bella Coola Agencies in December 1909. The headquarters of the Nass Agency was initially located in Metlakatla but was moved to Prince Rupert around November 1916. The Nass Agency was divided into the Nass and Skeena River Agencies in 1920. The two agencies were re-united in 1922 under the name Skeena River Agency. In 1959, some bands from the Agency were moved to the newly-created Terrace Agency and, in 1967, the Skeena River Agency became the North Coast District.
Microfilm reels C-14881 and T-3968 to T-3969 include miscellaneous correspondence and reports relating to agency matters. Part of the collection contains letters received by the agent as well as copies of agent's reports between 1904 to 1920. Subjects of part of the collection relate to matters such as land leases, commonage, surveys, roads, right of way, mineral rights, timber, fishing stations and law and order between 1910 to 1941.
Permanent Link http://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/oocihm.lac_mikan_159052