Available reels: 58
|Creator||Canada. Dept. of Indian Affairs|
|Title||Department of Indian Affairs : Manitoulin Island District Office, letterbooks|
RG 10 C V 26 f
|Document source||Library and Archives Canada / Bibliothèque et Archives Canada|
In 1755, the British Crown established the British Indian Department, and responsibility for Indian Affairs rested on the Superintendents of Indian Affairs from 1755 to 1841. After 1843, the Governors General held control of Indian Affairs, but usually delegated much of their responsibility to a series of Civil Secretaries. In 1860, the responsibility for Indian affairs was transferred from the government of Great Britain to the Province of Canada and the responsibility for Indian Affairs was given to the Crown Lands Department Commissions Responsible for Indian Affairs. The responsibility for Indian Affairs rested with various government departments between 1873 and 1966. The Minister of the Interior also held the position of Superintendent General of Indian Affairs after the Indian Affairs Department was established in 1880. From 1950 to 1965, the Indian Affairs portfolio was carried by the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration. In October 1966, the Department of Indian Affairs and Northern Development was created. Today, the department is known as Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada.
In 1938, the Gore Bay and Manitowaning Indian agencies were amalgamated to create the Manitoulin Island Agency. This agency became the Manitoulin Island District Office in 1972. Effective April 1976, the Manitoulin Island District was absorbed, along with the Sault Ste. Marie District, into the Sudbury District.
This collection consists of letterbooks that originated in the superintendent's office in Manitowaning (Northern Superintendency, Division 1 and Manitowaning Agency), the Cockburn Island and Gore Bay Indian Lands Offices, and the Gore Bay, Thessalon, and Sault Ste. Marie Agencies.