Available reels: 3
|Title||Index to grants, deeds, leases and licences of occupation unclaimed or impounded in the Executive Council Office|
RG 1 L 2
Law and justice
|Document source||Library and Archives Canada / Bibliothèque et Archives Canada|
The Executive Council of Upper Canada had a similar function to England's Cabinet, but it was not responsible to the Legislative Assembly of Upper Canada. Members of the Executive Council usually belonged to the Legislative Council, the upper house governing Upper Canada, and they were appointed, often for life. The Council's first five members were appointed in July 1792. After the War of 1812, the Executive Council was dominated by members of the Family Compact. The Council was dissolved in February 1841 when Upper Canada and Lower Canada were unified into the Province of Canada.
This collection consists of two distinct types of documents: deeds for grants and leases of land, surrendered to or impounded by the Executive Council of Upper Canada for a variety of reasons; and the technical descriptions of unclaimed grants and leases. Included within the series are schedules of impounded deeds, from 1796 to 1811, and some correspondence relating to the Land Boards and copies of petitions received, 1792-1793. Miscellaneous leases are included as well.
Although the records in this series date primarily from the Province of Upper Canada period, there are a number which date from the 1840s and 1850s and, indeed, the card index to the series shows references as recent as 1897.