Available reels: 5
|Creator||Seigneurie de Sorel|
|Title||Fonds de la Seigneurie de Sorel|
MG 8 F 89
|Document source||Library and Archives Canada / Bibliothèque et Archives Canada|
Sorel is the fourth oldest city in the province of Quebec. It was founded in 1642 when Charles Huault de Montmagny (c. 1599 - 1654), first Governor and Lieutenant-Governor of New France, built Fort Richelieu on the future city’s site as a defense for settlers and river travellers against the Iroquois. In 1647, the original fort was destroyed by the Iroquois but it was rebuilt by the Carignan-Salières Regiment in the same place in 1665. The name Sorel comes from the first seigneur of the area, Pierre de Saurel. He was in command of a regiment of the Carignan-Salières that came over in August 1665. He was granted a seigneury by King Louis XIV in 1672, even though he had already built a manor house four years prior. After the American Revolution, the area became home to English-speaking Loyalists. In the 1820s, Sorel was the site of the Governor General of Lower Canada's governor's house.
This collection contains correspondence, 1779-1894; concessions, 1683-1866; deeds and records of survey, 1707-1889; legal documents, 1689-1890; extracts from parish registers, wills, guardianships and commissions, 1672-1888; municipal and parish records, 1669-1925; lists of dealers, genealogical notes, plans and other documents, 1727-1890; papers, 1791-1844; sales books, 1793-1858; various notarial documents, 1774-1889; records of companies and partnerships, 1849-1877.