Subscribe to Héritage

Fonds de l'hôtel-Dieu de Québec

Available reels: 3

Document Record
Title Fonds de l'hôtel-Dieu de Québec
Identifier lac_mikan_99785
MG 17 A10
Papers
Genealogy
Health and Medicine
French Canada
Document source Library and Archives Canada / Bibliothèque et Archives Canada
Language fra
Description The Hotel-Dieu de Québec is a teaching hospital located in Quebec City, and is affiliated with Université Laval's medical school. Its areas of expertise include cancer treatment, kidney disease and cochlear implants. This was the first hospital in Canada, and the first in North America, north of Mexico. The hospital was officially founded in 1637 by Marie-Madeleine de Vignerot, the Duchesse d'Aiguillon (1604 - 1675), a niece of French statesman Cardinal Richelieu (1585 - 1642). She entrusted health care to the Canonesses of St. Augustine of the Mercy of Jesus, commonly referred as Hospitaller Sisters due to their vocation as nurses. The first hospital was built in the village of Sillery, and the duchesse instructed the sisters to direct their care to the First Nations community. Dwellings were built near the hospital for the Native people to improve ease of access to the hospital. By 1644, however, the sisters had to abandon the site due to repeated attacks by Iroquois warriors, and the hospital moved to the town of Quebec. That hospital still stands and it was designated a National Historic Site of Canada in 1936. It continued to be operated by the Augustinian canonesses until 1962.
This collection consists of correspondence, daily records of patients, papers concerning patients’ possessions, various acts and contracts, and historical notes on the Hôtel-Dieu de Québec.
L'hôtel-Dieu de Québec est un hôpital universitaire situé à Québec et affilié à la Faculté de médecine de l'Université Laval. Ses domaines d'expertise incluent le traitement du cancer et des maladies rénales et les implants cochléaires. L'Hôtel-Dieu fut le premier hôpital du Canada, et le premier en Amérique du Nord situé au nord du Mexique. Il fut fondé officiellement en 1637 par Marie-Madeleine de Vignerot, duchesse d'Aiguillon (1604-1675), la nièce du cardinal de Richelieu (1585-1642), homme d'État français. Elle a confié la prodigation des soins de la santé aux religieuses Augustines de la Miséricorde de Jésus, communément appelées les Sœurs Hospitalières en raison vocation d'infirmières. Le premier hôpital fut construit dans le village de Sillery et la duchesse a demandé aux religieuses d'offrir leurs soins aux membres de la communauté des Premières nations. Des habitations furent bâties près de l'hôpital pour les Autochtones afin d'améliorer leur accès à l'hôpital. Mais, dès 1644, les religieuses ont dû abandonner le site à cause des attaques répétées des Iroquois. L'hôpital s'est alors installé à Québec, là où il se trouve encore aujourd'hui. En 1936, il fut désigné site historique national du Canada. Les religieuses Augustines ont continué à administrer l'hôpital jusqu'en 1962.
Cette collection comprend de la correspondance, des dossiers quotidiens concernant les patients, des papiers relatifs aux biens des patients, divers actes et contrats, ainsi que des notes historiques sur l'Hôtel-Dieu de Québec.
Permanent Link http://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/oocihm.lac_mikan_99785