Quebec Gazette : Finding Aid 1807, the card index

Available reels: 26

Document Record

Quebec, Lower Canada and Canada. Gazettes.
Quebec Gazette : Finding Aid 1807, the card index
Quebec Gazette : instrument de recherche 1807, l’index sur fiches
MIKAN: 126111
Reels/Bobines: C-7071 to C-7095
Archival Reference/Référence Archivistique: RG 4 D 1, R14076-3-8-E
Media and communications
French Canada
Médias et communications
Canada français
Document source
Library and Archives Canada / Bibliothèque et Archives Canada
The Quebec Chronicle-Telegraph, founded by William Brown (c. 1737 - 1789) as the Quebec Gazette in June 1764, is the oldest newspaper in Quebec. Until 1842, the newspaper published editions in both French and English. It originally began as a weekly, but, in May 1832, it began appearing in English on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, and in French on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. The Quebec Gazette merged with the Morning Chronicle in 1873 to become the Quebec Chronicle and Quebec Gazette. In July 1925, another merger occurred with the Quebec Daily Telegraph and the paper was then published as the Chronicle-Telegraph until 1934, when it added 'Quebec' to the front of its name, where it remains to this day.
This collection is comprised of index cards associated with a variety of broadsides bound within the Gazette for the years 1764 to 1832.
Fondé en juin 1764 par William Brown (v. 1737-1789) sous le nom de Quebec Gazette, le Quebec Chronicle-Telegraph est le plus vieux journal du Québec. Avant 1842, le journal était publié tant en français qu'en anglais. Publié hebdomadairement entre 1764 et mai 1832, ce journal paraît par la suite en anglais les lundis, mercredis et vendredis, et en français les mardis, jeudis et samedis. En 1873, la Quebec Gazette a fusionné avec le Morning Chronicle pour devenir le Quebec Chronicle and Quebec Gazette. En juillet 1925, le journal se fusionne de nouveau avec un concurrent, le Quebec Daily Telegraph pour devenir le Chronicle-Telegraph. En 1934, le titre est légèrement modifié en devenant le Quebec Chronicle-Telegraph, nom qu'il porte encore de nos jours.
Cette collection se compose d'un index sur fiches, ainsi que bon nombre de feuillets in-plano reliés dans la Gazette entre 1764 et 1832.