Department of Militia and Defence : Registers and lists of officers
Bobines disponibles : 15
Notice bibliographique du document
- Department of Militia and Defence : Registers and lists of officers
RG 9 II B
- Document original
- Library and Archives Canada / Bibliothèque et Archives Canada
The Department of Militia and Defence was the department responsible for Canadian military forces from 1906 to 1921, and the Minister of Militia and Defence was in charge of this department. Before this period, from 1855 to 1906, the Minister of Militia and Defence was responsible for Canadian militia units only, as the British Army was still stationed in Canada. When the British Army withdrew from Canada in 1906, the department became the overseer of all Canadian land forces. In 1921, the Royal Canadian Navy was transferred to this department, so it was renamed the Department of Militia and Defence and the Naval Service. In January 1923, the department name was changed to the Department of National Defence as a result of the prior amalgamation of Naval Services, Militia and Defence, as well as the merger of the Air Board into the department.
This collection consists of registers and lists of officers created and maintained in the headquarters of the General Officer Commanding the Canadian Militia and his predecessor, the Adjutant General. The collection includes lists of military and civilian staff at Militia Headquarters from 1867 to 1902 as well as lists of members of the reserve forces, registers of officers, registers of various regiments, and other registers.
There appears to be no finding aids at the start of the microfilm reels.