Department of Militia and Defence : Correspondence of the Deputy Minister's office, 1867-1903
Bobines disponibles : 15
Notice bibliographique du document
- Canada. Dept. of Militia and Defence.
- Department of Militia and Defence : Correspondence of the Deputy Minister's office, 1867-1903
RG 9 II A 1
- Document original
- Library and Archives Canada / Bibliothèque et Archives Canada
The Department of Militia and Defence was the department responsible for Canadian military forces from 1906 to 1921, and the Minister of Militia and Defence was in charge of this department. Before this period, from 1855 to 1906, the Minister of Militia and Defence was responsible for Canadian militia units only, as the British Army was still stationed in Canada. When the British Army withdrew from Canada in 1906, the department became the overseer of all Canadian land forces. In 1921, the Royal Canadian Navy was transferred to this department, so it was renamed the Department of Militia and Defence and the Naval Service. In January 1923, the department name was changed to the Department of National Defence as a result of the prior amalgamation of Naval Services, Militia and Defence, as well as the merger of the Air Board into the department.
This collection consists of letterbooks covering the period 1867 to 1903, containing copies of letters sent by the Department over the deputy minister's signature. There is an index to the letterbooks found on microfilm reels T-267 and T-268. The collection also consists of a complete set of correspondence registers (reels T-4172 to T-4181) as well as indexes to these registers (reels T-4170 to T-4172).