Royal Canadian Mounted Police. C Division. Battleford records
Available reels: 2
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police. C Division. Battleford records
RG 18 C 1
Law and Justice
- Document source
- Library and Archives Canada / Bibliothèque et Archives Canada
The North-West Mounted Police (NWMP) was a parliamentary police force created in 1873. It was meant to keep law and order among incoming settlers to the region west of Ontario, help Aboriginals make the transition to Indian reserves, and act as a symbol of Canadian sovereignty against American annexation. The police force was partially created in response to Fenian invaders who nearly made it to Manitoba in 1871. During the Klondike Gold Rush from 1897 to 1903, the NWMP would establish a presence in the Yukon to maintain order amongst the saloons, dance halls and gambling dens that sprung up to entertain gold prospectors flooding into the region.
The force added "Royal" to its name in 1904. It was merged with the Dominion Police, the main police force for all points east of Manitoba, in 1920 and was renamed as the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP). The new organization was charged with federal law enforcement in all the provinces and territories, and immediately set about establishing its modern role as protector of Canadian national security, as well as assuming responsibility for national counterintelligence.
The mounted party of 275 officers and men of the fledgling North-West Mounted police that left Fort Dufferin, Manitoba, in 1874 were divided into six troops or divisions, identified by letters "A" through "F". C Division was initially located at Fort Macleod. In 1886, it moved to Battleford, Saskatchewan, and then, in 1920, it was relocated to Brandon, Manitoba. The designation "C" was not in use from 1924 to 1931. In 1932, C Division was resurrected and assigned to Montreal, Quebec, where it is currently under the direction of the Deputy Commissioner Central Region.
This collection consists of records created and maintained by C Division while it was located in Battleford, Saskatchewan, from 1886 to 1920. The records include letterbooks, letterpress book of telegrams, daily orders, daily diaries, correspondence.