Royal Canadian Mounted Police : D Division letterbooks
Bobines disponibles : 8
Notice bibliographique du document
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police : D Division letterbooks
RG 18 C 2
Law and justice
- Document original
- Library and Archives Canada / Bibliothèque et Archives Canada
The North-West Mounted Police (NWMP) was a parliamentary police force created in 1873. It was meant to keep law and order among incoming settlers to the region west of Ontario, help Aboriginals make the transition to Indian reserves, and act as a symbol of Canadian sovereignty against American annexation. The police force was partially created in response to Fenian invaders who nearly made it to Manitoba in 1871.
The force added "Royal" to its name in 1904. It was merged with the Dominion Police, the main police force for all points east of Manitoba, in 1920 and was renamed as the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP). The new organization was charged with federal law enforcement in all the provinces and territories, and immediately set about establishing its modern role as protector of Canadian national security, as well as assuming responsibility for national counterintelligence.
The mounted party of 275 officers and men of the fledgling NWMP that left Fort Dufferin, Manitoba in 1874 were divided into six troops or divisions, identified by letters "A" through "F". D Division was initially located in Fort Dufferin. Between 1876 to 1919 it was stationed at following locations: Fort Macleod (1876-1877), Shoal Lake (1878-1879), Battleford (1880-1886), Fort Macleod (1886), Fort Steele (1887-1889), Fort Macleod (1889-1919). In 1919, D Division was assigned to Winnipeg, Manitoba, where it is currently under the direction of the Deputy Commissioner for the North West Region.
Sub-series consists of letterbooks of the Commanding Officer relating primarily to supplies and personnel matters, including letters for accounts, requisitions, general orders and a few monthly, weekly and crime reports.