Royal Canadian Mounted Police, F Division : Letterbooks of the Commanding Officer, 1884-1903
Available reels: 7
Royal Canadian Mounted Police. "F" Division (Sask.)
Gendarmerie royale du Canada. Division "F" (Saskatchewan)
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police, F Division : Letterbooks of the Commanding Officer, 1884-1903
- Document source
- Library and Archives Canada / Bibliothèque et Archives Canada
The North-West Mounted Police (NWMP) was a parliamentary police force created in 1873. It was meant to keep law and order among incoming settlers to the region west of Ontario, help Aboriginals make the transition to Indian reserves, and act as a symbol of Canadian sovereignty against American annexation. The police force was partially created in response to Fenian invaders who nearly made it to Manitoba in 1871. During the Klondike Gold Rush from 1897 to 1903, the NWMP would establish a presence in the Yukon to maintain order amongst the saloons, dance halls and gambling dens that sprung up to entertain gold prospectors flooding into the region.
The mounted party of 275 officers and men of the fledgling North-West Mounted police that left Fort Dufferin, Manitoba in 1874 were divided into six troops or divisions, identified by letters "A" through "F". F Division was initially located at Fort Macleod. In 1876, it moved to Fort Calgary. Two years later it was assigned to Fort Walsh. The designation "F" was not in use from 1881 to 1885. F Division was resurrected and assigned to Prince Albert, Saskatchewan in 1886. The Division assumed the functions of the Saskatchewan Provincial Police in 1928. In 1932, it was assigned to Regina where it is currently under the direction of the Deputy Commissioner North West Region.
This collection consists of letterbooks, a letterpress book of telegrams, weekly reports, daily orders, daily diaries, reports and operational records. With the exception of operational records, most of the records in this collection were created when F Division was based in Prince Albert.