Department of Indian Affairs : Battleford Agency
Bobines disponibles : 4
Notice bibliographique du document
- Canada. Dept. of Indian Affairs.
- Department of Indian Affairs : Battleford Agency
RG 10 C VI
Health and Medicine
- Document original
- Library and Archives Canada / Bibliothèque et Archives Canada
In 1755, the British Crown established the British Indian Department, and responsibility for Indian Affairs rested on the Superintendents of Indian Affairs from 1755 to 1841. After 1843, the Governors General held control of Indian Affairs, but usually delegated much of their responsibility to a series of Civil Secretaries. In 1860, the responsibility for Indian affairs was transferred from the government of Great Britain to the Province of Canada and the responsibility for Indian Affairs was given to the Crown Lands Department Commissions Responsible for Indian Affairs. The responsibility for Indian Affairs rested with various government departments between 1873 and 1966. The Minister of the Interior also held the position of Superintendent General of Indian Affairs after the Indian Affairs Department was established in 1880. From 1950 to 1965, the Indian Affairs portfolio was carried by the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration. In October 1966, the Department of Indian Affairs and Northern Development was created. Today, the department is known as Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada.
The Battleford Agency in Saskatchewan was established when the first agent was appointed in January 1877. The agency was initially responsible for large areas of southern Alberta and Saskatchewan (Treaties 4, 6 and 7). Its responsibilities gradually narrowed to those Treaty 6 bands in the vicinity of the community of Battleford. Between 1936 and 1948, the Battleford Agency assumed responsibility for some Treaty 10 bands. The North Battleford District Office was created on April 1, 1970.
Microfilm reels T-1455 to T-1458 consists of a series of subject files dealing with school administration, 1913-1932, especially at Onion Lake, Elkhorn and Thunderchild schools; medical reports, doctors' correspondence and purchase of drugs, 1908-1919, 1932-1935; police reports, 1944-1948; correspondence concerning the Thunderchild Reserve, 1916-1932; certificates for supplies issued to Indians in the agency, 1899-1900; and other administrative records dealing mostly with supplies and housing, 1929-1935.