Department of Indian Affairs : Peigan Agency
Available reels: 5
- Canada. Dept. of Indian Affairs.
- Department of Indian Affairs : Peigan Agency
RG 10 C VI
Health and Medicine
- Document source
- Library and Archives Canada / Bibliothèque et Archives Canada
In 1755, the British Crown established the British Indian Department, and responsibility for Indian Affairs rested on the Superintendents of Indian Affairs from 1755 to 1841. After 1843, the Governors General held control of Indian Affairs, but usually delegated much of their responsibility to a series of Civil Secretaries. In 1860, the responsibility for Indian affairs was transferred from the government of Great Britain to the Province of Canada and the responsibility for Indian Affairs was given to the Crown Lands Department Commissions Responsible for Indian Affairs. The responsibility for Indian Affairs rested with various government departments between 1873 and 1966. The Minister of the Interior also held the position of Superintendent General of Indian Affairs after the Indian Affairs Department was established in 1880. From 1950 to 1965, the Indian Affairs portfolio was carried by the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration. In October 1966, the Department of Indian Affairs and Northern Development was created. Today, the department is known as Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada.
An Indian Agent was appointed in 1880 with responsibility for the bands of the entire Treaty 7 area. His headquarters was located at Fort MacLeod. During the next few years, other agents would take over responsibility. In October 1884, the responsibilities for the Treaty 7 area were formally split with the creation of two separate agencies. In 1885, one of the agency headquarters moved to the Blood Reserve and the agency became known as the Blood Agency. The Department Annual Report of 1888 is the first to mention a distinct Peigan Agency. In 1960, the Peigan and Blood agencies were merged to form the Blood-Peigan District. In 1983, an administrative reorganization in Alberta resulted in the creation of a Southern Alberta District with responsibility for a number of bands, including the Peigan.
Microfilm reels C-14255 and T-1469 contain letters received by the agent for the Peigan Agency. The letters are filed in chronological order. Included are letters dated 1897 to 1904.
Microfilm reels C-14256 to C-14257 consist of subject files dealing with surrenders, wells, medical affairs and the Canadian Pacific Railway, 1909-1937; schools, 1897-1924; buildings and equipment, 1898-1914; individual cases, 1904-1910; agency employees, 1897-1925; annuities, transfer and membership records, 1897-1910; agriculture, 1906-1911; statistical notes and agents' reports, 1897-1924.
Microfilm reels C-14257 to C-14259, T-1465 and T-1468 consist of a volume of circulars, correspondence and receipts; a letterbook, 1900-1901; circular letters, 1884-1898; and letterbook copies of letters written by the agent, 1881-1903. Several of these volumes contain an index. Part of the collection contains an agent's journal covering the years 1909 to 1915.