Subscribe to Héritage

France. Fonds des Archives nationales: Série V7. Commissions extraordinaires du Conseil

Available reels: 3

Document Record
Creator France
Title France. Fonds des Archives nationales: Série V7. Commissions extraordinaires du Conseil
Série V7. Commissions extraordinaires du Conseil
Identifier lac_mikan_100177
MG 3-IV7
R11616-17-3-F
Government
Document source Library and Archives Canada / Bibliothèque et Archives Canada
Language fra
Description Quebec has had a long and varied history, starting with the colony of New France. In 1534, French explorer Jacques Cartier (1491 - 1557) planted a cross in the Gaspé peninsula and claimed the land in the name of King Francis. In 1608, the city of Quebec was founded with 28 men. In 1630, there were only 103 colonists living in the settlement, but by 1640, the population had reached 355. Fur traders, known as coureurs des bois, extended French influence south and west to the Great Lakes. Eventually, Cardinal Richelieu (1585 - 1642), adviser to French king Louis XIII, wanted to make New France as populous as the English colonies to the south, and founded the Company of One Hundred Associates in 1627 to invest in New France, promising land parcels to hundreds of new settlers and to turn the region into an important farming and mercantile colony. Richelieu introduced the seigneurial system, a semi-feudal system of farming that existed until the 19th century. The Roman Catholic Church, and missionaries such as the Recollets and Jesuits, became firmly established in the New France as well.
This series contains the transcriptions of documents from commissions appointed to resolve the following cases: a) Louis Guiges and the hat makers of Paris, 1698-1699; the wind up of the affairs of the Aubert, Néret and Gayot Company, 1706-1734. b) The d'Iberville armament: the sharing of spoils taken during expeditions against Nièves and St-Christopher 1705-1706 and 1726-1750. c) The frauds of Bigot and his accomplices, 1761-1775, containing an analytical inventory. d) Jeanne and Antoinette Pachut against Néret and Gayot, 1735. e) The revenues of the episcopal see and chapter of the Quebec Cathedral derived from the abbeys of Maubec, de Lestré, de Bénévent, etc., 1688-1736.
Le Québec a connu une histoire longue et mouvementée depuis la fondation de la colonie de la Nouvelle-France. En 1534, l'explorateur français Jacques Cartier (1491-1557) a planté une croix dans la péninsule de Gaspé pour signifier l'appropriation des lieux au nom du roi François 1er. En 1608, la ville de Québec a été fondée par 28 individus. En 1630, il n'y avait que 103 colons résidant dans la colonie mais, dès 1640, la population avait atteint 355. Les marchands de fourrures, ou coureurs des bois, ont étendu l'influence de la France jusqu'au sud et à l'ouest des Grands Lacs. Le cardinal Richelieu (1585-1642), conseiller du roi de France Louis XIII, souhaitait que la population de la Nouvelle-France puisse se comparer à celle des colonies anglaises plus au sud. En 1627, il fonda à cet effet la Compagnie des Cent-associés pour qu'elle investisse dans la colonie, promettant des lots de terre à des centaines de nouveaux colons et, pour qu'elle fasse en sorte que cette région devienne une importante colonie agricole et mercantile. Richelieu y a introduit le système seigneurial, un système semi-féodal d'agriculture qui subsista jusqu'au XIXe siècle. Quant à l'Église catholique romaine et aux missionnaires, dont les Récollets et les Jésuites, ils se sont solidement établis en Nouvelle-France.
Cette série contient la transcription des documents des commissions chargées de régler les affaires suivantes : a) Louis Guiges et les chapeliers de Paris, 1698-1699; la liquidation des affaires de la société Aubert, Néret et Gayot, 1706-1734; b) l'armement d'Iberville : le partage du butin pris lors des expéditions contre Nièves et Saint-Christophe, 1705-1706 et 1726-1750; c) les fraudes de Bigot et de ses complices, 1761-1775, avec un inventaire analytique; d) Jeanne et Antoinette Planchut contre Néret et Gayot, 1735; e) les revenus de l'évêché et du chapitre de l'église cathédrale de Québec provenant des abbayes de Maubec, de Lestrée, de Bénévent, etc., 1688-1736.
Permanent Link http://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/oocihm.lac_mikan_100177