Department of Indian Affairs : Battleford Agency

Available reels: 1

Document Record

Creator
Canada. Dept. of Indian Affairs.
Title
Department of Indian Affairs : Battleford Agency
Ministère des Affaires indiennes : Agence de Battleford
Identifier
Government
oocihm.lac_mikan_158886
lac_mikan_158886
158886
162149
RG 10 C VI
Health and Medicine
R216-378-5-E
Aboriginal
R216-378-5-F
Genealogy
Document source
Library and Archives Canada / Bibliothèque et Archives Canada
Description
In 1755, the British Crown established the British Indian Department, and responsibility for Indian Affairs rested on the Superintendents of Indian Affairs from 1755 to 1841. After 1843, the Governors General held control of Indian Affairs, but usually delegated much of their responsibility to a series of Civil Secretaries. In 1860, the responsibility for Indian affairs was transferred from the government of Great Britain to the Province of Canada and the responsibility for Indian Affairs was given to the Crown Lands Department Commissions Responsible for Indian Affairs. The responsibility for Indian Affairs rested with various government departments between 1873 and 1966. The Minister of the Interior also held the position of Superintendent General of Indian Affairs after the Indian Affairs Department was established in 1880. From 1950 to 1965, the Indian Affairs portfolio was carried by the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration. In October 1966, the Department of Indian Affairs and Northern Development was created. On June 13, 2011 the department was changed to Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada. In 2015 it was renamed Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC) and in 2017 it changed to Crown-Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada.
The Battleford Agency in Saskatchewan was established when the first agent was appointed in January 1877. The agency was initially responsible for large areas of southern Alberta and Saskatchewan (Treaties 4, 6 and 7). Its responsibilities gradually narrowed to those Treaty 6 bands in the vicinity of the community of Battleford. Between 1936 and 1948, the Battleford Agency assumed responsibility for some Treaty 10 bands. The North Battleford District Office was created on April 1, 1970.
Microfilm reels T-1455 to T-1458 consists of a series of subject files dealing with school administration, 1913-1932, especially at Onion Lake, Elkhorn and Thunderchild schools; medical reports, doctors' correspondence and purchase of drugs, 1908-1919, 1932-1935; police reports, 1944-1948; correspondence concerning the Thunderchild Reserve, 1916-1932; certificates for supplies issued to Indians in the agency, 1899-1900; and other administrative records dealing mostly with supplies and housing, 1929-1935.
En 1755, la Couronne britannique a établi un département britannique des Affaires indiennes et, entre 1755 et 1841, la responsabilité des affaires indiennes relevait des surintendants des Affaires indiennes. À compter de 1843, les affaires indiennes étaient placées sous l’autorité des gouverneurs généraux qui déléguaient souvent une grande partie de leurs responsabilités à des secrétaires civils. En 1860, la responsabilité des affaires indiennes passa du gouvernement de la Grande-Bretagne à la province du Canada où des commissions du ministère des Terres de la Couronne en assumèrent la responsabilité. Entre 1873 et 1966, la responsabilité des affaires indiennes releva de divers ministères. Après la création du ministère des Affaires indiennes en 1880, le ministre de l’Intérieur occupait également le poste de surintendant général des Affaires indiennes. De 1950 à 1965, le portefeuille des Affaires indiennes relevait du ministre de la Citoyenneté et de l’Immigration. En octobre 1966, le ministère des Affaires indiennes et du Nord canadien fut créé. Le 13 juin 2011, le ministère est devenu Affaires autochtones et Développement du Nord Canada. En 2015, il a été rebaptisé Affaires autochtones et du Nord Canada (AINC) et en 2017, il est devenu Relations Couronne-Autochtones et Affaires du Nord Canada.
L’agence de Battleford en Saskatchewan a été mise sur pied avec la nomination du premier agent en janvier 1877. À l’origine, cette agence était responsable de vastes zones du Sud de l’Alberta et de la Saskatchewan (Traités nos 4, 6 et 7). Ses responsabilités ont progressivement diminué pour n’inclure, en fin de compte, que les bandes du Traité no 6 dans les environs de la communauté de Battleford. Entre 1936 et 1948, l’agence de Battleford a assumé la responsabilité de quelques bandes du Traité no 10. Le bureau de District de North Battleford a été créé le 1er avril 1970.
Les bobines de microfilm T-1455 à T-1458 contiennent une série de dossiers-matières qui traitent de l’administration des écoles, et en particulier celles d’Onion Lake, d’Elkhorn et de Thunderchild (1913-1932). On y trouve aussi des rapports médicaux, de la correspondance et des achats de médicaments par des médecins (1908-1919, 1932-1935), des rapports de police (1944-1948), de la correspondance concernant la réserve de Thunderchild (1916-1932), des certificats délivrés pour des vivres distribuées aux Autochtones de l’agence (1899-1900), et d’autres documents administratifs se rapportant surtout à l’approvisionnement et au logement (1929-1935).
URL
https://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/oocihm.lac_mikan_158886